01 January 2010

An Evening with the Persian Jews

Every year since my birth my grandparents have thrown a big ass New Years Party at their home. And every year, I've watched as the guests who were once so young(ish), excitable, and vibrant get older, older, and lamer.

Last night as we put on all sorts of fun music for them to dance to, they continued to sit there, as they often do, and I seemed to become the source of entertainment. I was there, on the dance floor, the latest girl of the marrying age, and I could feel everyone watching me--deciding if I was worthy of their sons or grandsons. I got pulled over to them a lot. Mostly to hear, "Sabba Joon, you look so much better now." Was I ugly before? Or, "Sabba? Is that you? My god! Are you going to law school?" Imagine all of their pretending-to-be-happy faces when I explained that I go to Davis and am majoring in Film and Theatre.

People I didn't know also kept taking pictures of me. I expect that those pictures will be show around their family and my parents will soon get the "Hey! You've got a daughter! I've got a son! Let's make them date!" conversation. It should be amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment